Aug 3, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo By EyeStudio Review!

Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr Shadow

We have been hearing a lot about these Maybelline Color Tattoo shadows. They run about $6.99 each, come in 9 different shades and can be found in most drugstores. They boast having super-saturated color, cream gel smoothness and vibrant color that does not fade for 24 hours. Really now? Well, we decided to put a few colors to the test to see if they truly perform the way described and if the pigments show up just as vibrantly on Brown Spice Beauties.


Sumer's review of 05 Too Cool & 40 Tenacious Teal

First, I love the minimal packaging of the product. There is no box to create extra waste. It comes as you see it with just a little plastic sealing ring that you have to tear off to unscrew the lid. Kudos for that Maybelline! Now, I don't like the fact that  there are no instructions provided on how to properly apply the shadow. For a novice, this can create a lot of  failed attempts at achieving the look you want. TIP: Maybeline does offer instructions on-line and a few How To videos click here to view.


Ok ladies, I put these two colors to the test and NO!, I would never wear a different color on each eye normally. Just killing two birds with one stone. ;-) I applied the color with no primer to get an unaided result. I found using your fingers to apply works best, but I used a slightly damp MAC 195 Concealer Brush. The key is to Work Very Fast and to go easy on the amount of product you use or it can get very cakey. The lighter you apply each layer the better. Use smooth long strokes and lightly dab to fill in any spots. Brushing back and forth is NOT a good idea. It tends to cake more and if you continue to add after the shadow starts to dry it starts to crack and come off a little more with each stroke. Once you get the look you want STOP! Don't keep going back and adding more or it will go downhill fast.

To blend, i just added a regular powder shadow to the tops of each color to give a finished look  I was very pleased at how well the two mixed. My final touch was adding Maybelline Great Lash Very Black Mascara. I wore the shadows for a full 8+ hour work day and the pigment stayed true and they both worked very well on my deeper skin tone. No creasing or flaking. Overall, it is a great product for the price and what it offers.

Highlights:
  • Consistency: Very creamy powdery. Applying takes some practice.
  • Pigmentation:  Excellent! True Color. What you see is what you get.
  • Longwear Claim: After an 8+ hour work day, it was still going strong.
  • BSB Spice Rating: HOT!

Ananda's review of 40 Tenacious Teal


I have to say, I have been interested in this product for quite some time, and for some odd reason, I just never purchased it. I purchased the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tenacious Teal. I love the packaging, very sturdy and you can see the color clearly. Upon first glance, it looks like the color payoff seems very rich and the product looks very creamy. It did not disappoint when it came to creaminess. 

Before applying this product, due to my skin tone and some redness on my eyelids, I applied MAC Painterly Paint Pot as an eyeshadow base. Upon applying, I tried two methods, first with my fingertips, and then with by brush. Using my fingers, I was able to blend the product easily and build up color to some degree near the outer v. The product does not seem to crease, however it did get a little cakey for me, but that could have been due to the amount of product I was using. I tried to use a brush to build up the color a bit around the crease, however that method was a failure. SO I continued with my fingers to get the varying degrees of color deepness I wanted.

To finish off the look, I used my Coastal Scents 88 Color Palette and used the black to deepen and blend out my outer v. I also used the lightest white color for my accent near the inner corner of my eyes as well as to highlight the brow bone. I learned that using a powder shadow on top of a cream is difficult and takes much blending to get the desired look. I used my Wet n' Wild Liquid Eyeliner in Black to line my eyes and added a slight wing. I finished off with Stila Master Lashes Mascara in Black.

After putting on this product in the morning as I went off to work, I reviewed the staying power at the end of the day and I was quite impressed.

Highlights:
  • Consistency: Very creamy and blends well. however, building up color takes some practice.
  • Pigmentation:  Color payoff is great. I probably could have done without an eyeshadow base.
  • Longwear Claim: After an 8 hour day, it did not crease one bit and stands up to it's claims.
  • BSB Spice Rating: HOT

If you own this shadow or decide to try it, make sure you post a comment and let us know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this product in the store and was wondering how well it worked and how long it lasted because so many shadows boast of long lasting with no creasing and then you wear it and get depressed, lol. I know it doesn't cost a lot but so tired of wasting money on products, so I am grateful for this review and look forward to the forthcoming ones. I'm definitely going to go out and get this with confidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Andrea! We are so glad you found this post useful and you can now make your purchase with confidence.

      Delete